Thursday, 8 August 2013

New Obsession: Smash!

I'm not sure if you know, but I am obsessed with the 50s and especially Marilyn Monroe. Something about her is absolutely fascinating, and I can't put my finger on it. Whether it be, her untimely death surrounded by conspiracy, her complicated childhood, or the damaged woman that peeked through the surface of this glamorous star, something about her is compelling to me.

Most people who know me know about this obsession, I literally reread her wikipedia page constantly and she's even the lock screen on my phone. My nan's well aware of this, and mentioned to me this TV show she's started watching called Smash. It's an American program made by NBC and the second series is just airing in the UK.


As you can guess I'm utterly obsessed! I'll just give you a quick synopsis of the show. The programme is about the journey of a newly created broadway show about Marilyn Monroe and all of the process including the casting of the lead. This is where it gets interesting, there are two girls fighting over the part. Karen and Ivy, played by Katherine McPhee and Megan Hilty, both audition and are given call backs. Ivy is a seasoned broadway performer who looks a lot like Marilyn and is also close friends with one of the writers, the character Tom, so in real life (not a tv show) the part would be hers. Then there's Karen, who has never even been in the chorus of a broadway show, but turns up to the audition and is the only one not in costume and sings a song that shows Marilyn's vulnerability rather than playing up her sexiness.


I need to stop talking because I love it so much and I can't handle the fact that I just found out the show is being cancelled after the second series finishes. I know that it's going to turn into my new Veronica Mars, which I have watched over and over because I'm still in denial that it got cancelled.