Saturday, 28 July 2012

Hot Rollers vs Tongs

At Christmas I got some hot rollers! I was so excited about getting Hollywood waves and 40/50's style hair but it can be very hit and miss to use rollers. So I was inspired to write a blog post and hope you could relate. What's better? The control of Tongs or the versatility of hot rollers.



It's taken me a long time to be able to use rollers properly and get a lasting curl. Even now they can just drop almost instantly after taking them out when I feel like my technique is virtually identical each time. There seems to be literally no reason or rhyme to how these work and you just have to wing it and hope for the best. But they look unbelievably natural and give such a volumous curl with great lift at the roots that just don't seem to be possible to copy.

However, tongs may give you the control you want and make it really easy to create a style and get a whole head of curls to last a long time. The effect is just completely different to hot rollers, they look too perfect and unbelievable. Hairspray just makes the curls crispy looking and when you try to brush it out to make a softer look, all you get is frizz...and still a far too perfect ringlet. It's hard work to get something really natural and even harder work to get all your hair to blend together without it all just becoming one huge curl on either side of your hair - please lord tell me I'm not the only one.

I love the effect of hot rollers so much that I think I'd have to say that no matter what. Even if it's not practical. But for nights out etc I do have to go with tongs, even if it's just on the ends otherwise by the time I'm where I'm supposed to be my hair's already flat. So which do you prefer? and have you used both? Let me know in the comments section below :D