Friday, 13 April 2012

Magazine Samples

Are magazine samples worth the hype they get? From Benefit teaming up with Glamour to the little samples stuck in Vogue every month. If you buy magazines you will always see offers from magazines for free products. It's clearly to try and reach a wider audience but what do you guys think about magazine samples? Are they a waste of time to get what's usually a deluxe sample or are they a good way to find new favourite reads/ or new brands?





Well, for me I recently had a really good deal where two magazines contained samples, Clinique ligloss and a Neal's Yard Rose moisturiser, that's more travel size than sample. Plus I struck gold with a Touche Eclat sample in 1, my perfect shade in last month's vogue. So lately I've been getting a lot of luck with samples but I'm still a little sceptical, some magazines in particular demand subscriptions in return for their free gift. And I always have the idea that the products that are the 'free gifts' are going to be horrible and not worth even the price of the magazine...but I was nicely surprised with my moisturiser which I've recently been using every day. This really impressed me because I'm usually sceptical about the free gifts, so I guess I'm going to have to rethink my downer on the whole system!

Anyway to prove the quality of the products the rest of this post is going to be a review of the moisturiser because well I don't really have an awful lot to say about the lipgloss, apart from after a while it does go sort of white and gross on your lips but I find that most if not all lipglosses do that if you wear them all day.

Neal's Yard Remedies is an organic range and the particular moisturiser I got was the Wild Rose Daily Moisture SPF 30. This is a strong SPF which made me very excited because it is the start of summer, and according the website it is the first sunscreen to be verified by the Soil Association which sort of guarantees that it really is organic when it says it is. I find this moisturiser is really water based because a little will just melt and spread all over your face. It's a really strong scent too, it's obviously rose scented but it's so so strong! I mean, as soon as you open the lid of it, the smell of roses jut slaps you in the face. I'm not a huge fan of rose scents either so I'm sort of like bleh about it, but it's a nice moisturiser so I overlook it. I would prefer it to be more firm and melt into the skin rather than the water like consistency it currently is but I still like it and would buy it. The size in the magazine was 45ml and the full size is 50ml so that's pretty amazing.

Definitely re-evaluating my ideas...