Monday, 12 March 2012

Weightloss/Fitness Tips

I seem to be one of those people who will always be on and off dieting. It's in my family, I swear. Everyone from my paternal side has incessantly dieted on and off for their entire lives, and unfortunately, I can't say I'm any different. However, I'm trying to make a change, I want to break this chain of yo-yo dieting and hold a steady weight without crash dieting or anything else extreme like that. One night, when I was having this epiphany I thought I'd have a little bit of a nose on App Store  because I was like someone must have had the same problem, maybe something will help. Oh god, that was a brilliant idea. I found myfitnesspal, a website which has created an app for apple and blackberry - not sure about android but I assume so. I can't tell you how brilliant this site and app are for people trying to lose weight.


If you've ever tried to keep a food diary and failed, this is the key tool for you. With it's easy to search databases for both food and exercise, it's so simple to keep track of what you eat and calories/carbs/fat/protein to make sure you're eating a healthy rounded diet. Now, with their new feature you can also make your diary public so people who are on your myfitnesspal friends list can see what you've been eating which will either leave you feeling proud to rub your nose in people's faces or...guilt trip you into eating better the next day. Either way, you just get more and more motivated, and if you stick to inputting everything, even bad days (I have to admit that's my downfall) you will quickly see a big difference because you are more aware of just how much you've eaten which does make you feel fuller. Personally, I don't care if it's purely psychological or not, if I don't want to snack when it hits 8pm then my diet is doing well. 


A point not related to the actual weight-loss side of things, myfitnesspal is an easy to use app an site, whichever you'd prefer to use. Unlike some apps on the app store, it doesn't crash all the time, and it doesn't update a million times a day with the most minor changes. It's not difficult to use at all, everything is easily found, and if you don't use the website you can still make changes to most things on your ipod still...most apps limit the amount of information you can change on them which is a pain in the arse most of the time. I really hope you give it a shot and click here to add my profile!


Another thing I'd like to recommend to go side by side to this program is the Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred DVD; which I log as circuit training by the way. It takes 20 minutes out of your day, and it's done in your house. There's most of your excuses to not work out already thrown out of the window, it's not hassle to get to the gym, it won't take hours out of your day and you only have to pay one of, which is half the price of a gym membership anyway.